2.07.2017

The Key To Life


“After looking at the way things are on this earth, here’s what I’ve decided is the best way to live: Take care of yourself, have a good time, and make the most of whatever job you have for as long as God gives you life. And that’s about it. That’s the human lot. Yes, we should make the most of what God gives, both the bounty and the capacity to enjoy it, accepting what’s given and delighting in the work. It’s God’s gift! God deals out joy in the present, the now. It’s useless to brood over how long we might live.”
Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 MSG


Instant conviction. You see most of the time I am far from living in and enjoying the moment.  I'm pretty sure I spend 99% of the day dreaming about tomorrow. My thought process looks a little something like this;

" When I graduate, and get a good job, I can't wait to move. I'll get this car, Jax will be old enough to go to this school. Tomorrow I need to edit that blog. Saturday I need to go to the grocery store. I can't wait to finish school. What's for dinner? Am I done with school yet?" 

Talk about not living in the moment! I'm pretty sure most of you can agree with me. Our minds are naturally running and thinking about what's to come. 

But how can we learn to live in the moment?

In the opening scripture, Solomon gives us some tips. I am trying to embed these tips in my heart and mind. Let's jump right in! 

After looking at the way things are on this earth, here’s what I’ve decided is the best way to live: Take care of yourself, have a good time, and make the most of whatever job you have for as long as God gives you life. And that’s about it. That’s the human lot.

Take Care Of Yourself. Have A Good Time. Have you ever met someone who could have a good time with any circumstance given to them? Maybe you are that person, and if you aren't I'm sure you can't think of someone who pretty much lives for the moment. I don't think it's a coincidence that take care of yourself and have a good time are listed back to back. 

When we think of taking care of ourselves, our minds probably go right to things like a massage, manicure, a haircut, or buying ourselves something nice. 

We need to consider adding living in the moment, and having a good time to that list! 

When we choose to live in the moment, and enjoy whatever is happening we are in return taking care of ourselves. We are pushing the stress and worries of tomorrow out the door and welcoming in peace, and happiness. 

Now for some of you, the next part struck a nerve. Make the most of my job? MY job? I know you can come up with 10,000 reasons not to make the most of your job. And for all of you out there holding down a household, I know that can be overwhelming and stressful too. 

I believe that Solomon knew how tough jobs can be, no matter what you do in life, that is why he took the time to remind us to enjoy what we do. We can't possibly enjoy our jobs, no matter what they are, if we aren't living in the moment. Let's try to live a life where we find joy in what we do, I believe it's more about having an attitude of gratitude. Let's make the most of what we have! 

Yes, we should make the most of what God gives, both the bounty and the capacity to enjoy it, accepting what’s given and delighting in the work. It’s God’s gift! God deals out joy in the present, the now. It’s useless to brood over how long we might live.”

Delighting: take great pleasure in.

We should take great pleasure in what God has given us. Our home, our kids, our jobs, our cars, our friends, our family, OUR LIFE! 

ITS GODS GIFT

God deals out joy in the PRESENT, THE NOW
God deals out joy in the PRESENT, THE NOW
God deals out joy in the PRESENT, THE NOW 

Have you been lacking joy? Chances are you aren't living in and appreciating the now! (and guys trust me as I type these words are slapping me in the face, no judgment here.) 

So, friends, as I am growing and learning, and as I challenge myself, I want to challenge you guys too!! 

This is obviously not an overnight change, but we can start somewhere. 

• Take care of yourself (by having a good time) 
• Make the most of your job
• Take great pleasure in what God has given us 
• Live in the PRESENT 
• Live in the NOW 

that's the KEY TO LIFE 


xx Jo

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Jo's Beautiful Encounters. Design by Fearne.