11.30.2016

Thankful Through The Strom: Minaa B.


Minaa B. is a NYC based wellness therapist and author of the book Rivers Are Coming. She is a mental health advocate and freelance writer for various publications and shares words of insight and encouragement on her Instagram account @minaa_b. 

Tell me about a time in your life where you felt as though you were going through the storm?
Earlier this year I found myself going through what felt like a tumultuous season. My depression began to flare up and I found myself struggling with issues related to my self-esteem, confidence and having an overall desire to get through life. Depression is something that I have battled with since I was 6 years old. As a young adult I had to go to therapy to learn how to manage my symptoms, and unlearn a lot of negative behaviors and thoughts, that were associated with it. So earlier this year when I found myself struggling again, it was something that was hard to deal with but rather than ignore my mental health I sought treatment and began to take medication for my condition.

At that point in your life was being thankful second nature?
At the time it wasn't easy. And that is because depression does a really good job at stealing your joy and reminding you of your hardships rather than your blessings. My head was in the clouds most of the time and it felt like there was no way out.

When did you find yourself finding hope through your circumstance?
I got right into action when I became aware that my depression was severe. As I mentioned before, I got on medication and I also created a treatment plan for myself that included self-care, community and honest reflection. Being on medication gave me the boost that I really needed and I was able to see my life from a different perspective and work on myself. I began to feel hopeful in knowing that I wasn't giving up on myself the way I normally would in my past. I found hope in my ability to push past the stigma that society has on mental health and antidepressants, and I did what was best for me and my health!

How did focusing on the good change your situation for you?
To be honest, I found so much good purely in my depression. That was the good for me. By being depressed I was reminded of how resilient I am. Humans have the power to bounce back from anything. And we don't know how capable we are unless we are willing to let life hit us with it's storms and find the courage to bounce back from it.

What are you most thankful for now?
I'm thankful for my struggles. Through this season I learned that my struggles don't define me; they equip me for the journey.

What advice would you give to others who are going through the storm?
Remember that humans are resilient. We are wired to face storms but we are also equipped to go through them. Don't let your mind plague you with stress and worry. Instead, fill it with joy, praise, and reminders that you are built to face any hurdle life throws at you.

With Love,
Minaa B.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Jo's Beautiful Encounters. Design by Fearne.